Re: 164 Bra, plastic covers, paint chipping

The question is asked if anyone has tried the thinner protector cover, and
the answer is, not yet.  I saw this stuff on the front of an Audi last year
at a Porsche drivers school, and had to have it pointed out to me, as it was
almost invisible.  The owner had it done in Denver, using a kit 3M has for
the Audi I believe he said.  The cost was about $400.   I was unable to find
any kit listings here in KC,  so I bought the "raw" stuff.

I have purchased the 3M product in 4 and 12 inch strips. Each is 84 inches
long, and I have $120 US in the two.  I am planning to put this on the front
of my newly painted 1750 GTV.  Compound curves are making this a serious
problem in fitting, I haven't found a suitable pattern material yet.

I think this would go on the 164 very easily, as it is fairly flat across the
front.  Looking at the rock chips on my car, a couple of inches above the
break line from the front slope to the longer deck of the hood should prevent
the vast majority of the chips.   I of course have to have the hood painted
first.

Which brings up a point.  It seems to me, that the paint on my 95 Q is
significantly more prone to chipping than that on my 91 S.  Not just on the
hood, but on any part of the car that is making up the "frontal" area.
Anyone else notice this, or am I just extrapolating from too few data points?

John Justus
1971 1750 GT Veloce
1995 164 Quadrifoglio

End of alfa-digest V7 #676