'87 spider starter woes

I have an 87 starter that quit working about 9 months ago. I took it to a
local rebuilder who rebuilt it. The first time I installed it, no start. I
took it back and they "tested it in the back" and said nothing was wrong but
it worked fine when reinstalled.

Last week, the starter quit again.  I took it back and the rebuilders said it
was grinding slightly. $85 later I supposedly have a rebuiIt (again) starter.
I tested the lead from the switch and I've got 12+ volts. The starter will
engage and start with a hot wire from the battery but not from the ignition
switch. Is it possible that the solenoid installed during the rebuild
requires too much amperage.?

Help!

Tom Cofer
87 Spider
89 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
1988 Appendix (Quarterhorse/Thoroughbred cross) 15.3 Hand gelding
1997 Litespeed Ocoee Mountain Bike