Re: Bizarre Hot starting problem on 164

In message , Carl Prochilo <Carl_Prochilo@domain.elided> writes
>I've checked Tech notes and found no mention of the problem I am
>having.  My Alfa mechanic is baffled as well, but he is still looking
>for an answer to my problem.  Let me explain, and if you've experience
>this problem and know of a cure, please e-mail me privately with a
>response.
>After driving the car and having it reach normal operating temperature,
>then stopping the car for about 5 minutes and then attempting to restart
>the car, it sometimes will not start.  Opening the fuel filler cap has
>no effect.  However, opening the oil filler cap on the engine will
>always allow the engine to re-fire!!!   This is maddening and makes the
>car unpleasurable to drive.  Today alone I got stuck twice, the second
>in the middle of a crowded intersection, and let me tell you it is no
>fun to turn your hazard lights on, pull up the parking  brake, open the
>hood and get out to remove the oil filler cap while everyone watches you
>work on your Italian car.
If you are removing the oil filler cap, you are effectively letting air
into the inlet manifold system after the AFM. This leans out the mixture
so it appears that your engine is running too rich to start when hot.
OR your idle air valve sticks shut when hot so you don't get any air to
the engine which is bad.
To solve which you have got, try pressing the throttle a little as you
try to start it, you are then pretending to be the idle air valve. If
the car starts you might have a dead idle air valve. If not your car is
running rich.
Running rich could be a malfunction of the temp. sender on the
thermostat housing, the one with the same connector as the injectors, or
a bad fuel pressure regulator. A bad temp. sender usually raises your
idle speed because the ECU thinks your engine is still warming up.
lET US KNOW HOW YOU GET ON.
- --
jonathan coates