Re: 2L pistons

In a message dated 4/28/99 9:17:57 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

<< So, are all 10.4:1 or all 10:1 pistons created equally?  As an example I
 have heard anything from "Borgo is just great" to "Borgo's high round
 dome splits the flame front and reduces power". Others like Venolia
 favor a 'flat top' dome design, and I'm sure there are a few other
 manufacturers with yet other differences still (including Alfa's own 2L
 Motronic pistons).  >>

When I built the 2L for my '78 Sprint Veloce the late Gary Valant did the
valve and cylinder head work.  He advised me to stick with the standard 9:1
pistons and milling the head to achieve 10.5:1 compression.  His rationale
was three-fold:  1) The stock piston has a flatter dome than the 10.4 version
and therefore better flame propagation; 2) The stock piston is lighter; and
3) the stock piston is cheaper!   He told me that his standard engine rebuild
for vintage racing was to use stock pistons and mill the head to 11:1
compression.  Given his tremendous knowledge and experience I did what he
suggested.   Was not disappointed in my streetable 160 hp engine.

			Bill Sims