Re: Induction length

No, there is always SOME overlap. Engines designed, or set up for high RPM
usage will have more, at the expense of low end torque. I don't know of
any modern, Otto-cycle engines that have 0 overlap between the end of the
exhaust stroke and the beginning of the intake stroke. It's only a matter of
degrees (pun intended).

As a somewhat related Italian data point, the race cam in my Fiat 1100
Formula Junior engine has *80* degrees of overlap, 300 degrees of duration,
and 10.7 mm lift. Mind you, this is in a pushrod engine...

The Tipo 159 Alfetta deliberately used more overlap than needed just so they
could dump more Methanol into the motor for cooling. As it was, the valves
were only good for about 4 hours of run time, according to one of its
engineers.