Synchros

     Much has been written about the weak 2nd gear synchros in our cars. I
     recently saw a post about how the synchro was marginally designed,
     that is, the size and shape of the synchro rings are barely big enough
     to change the massive 2nd gear's speed, hence the usual Alfa crunch
     going into second. Why can't a larger/stronger synchro be designed and
     fitted? Is there not enough room to fit such a device? Could our
     gearboxes be retrofitted to take a stronger synchro, or is the only
     solution to lighten the gears? How do other manufacturers do it?
     Certainly there are bigger gearboxes, especially for American V-8
     engines, that do a great job of synchronizing speeds in 2nd gear.
     Any thoughts?
     Len, whose 82 Spider with a rebuilt box still crunches occasionally.