Re: Gearbox R&R

I was told "the trick" *after* I got my gearbox into the '67 GT Junior a
few years ago.

"The trick," according to some of the ARA tech gurus, is something like
this:

You disconnect the exhaust system from where it hangs off the car's
undercarriage -- leaving it all bolted together and connected to the
motor, of course.

You then unbolt the tranny from the bellhousing and propshaft, remove
that big bolt that holds it through the circular mount, and of course
remove anything else that's in the way (clutch linkage and some support
bracketry, I seem to recall).  Oh, and the shift lever has to come off,
too.

Then, while you lie under the car supporting the tranny so it doesn't
fall out on a tender portion of your anatomy (or worse, a concrete floor
which could break the tranny! :-), a friend lowers the exhaust pipe,
levering the whole engine/transmission unit downwards.

You can then easily slip the gearbox out of the clutch splines and slide
out from under the car with it.

Installation is more or less the reverse; your assistant lowers the rear
of the engine with the exhaust pipe, you fiddle the tranny input shaft
into the clutch splines, then when it's lined up properly your friend
raises the tailpipe and you slip enough bolts into place to keep it from
dropping on you.  Then tighten it up at your leisure.

Using the lift is a really really good idea; I did mine up on heavy-duty
jack stands in the driveway of my home, and there was never *quite*
enough room under it.  And frankly, I *hate* working all the way under a
car, any car, especially out here in Earthquake Country.

 --Scott

End of alfa-digest V7 #671