un-injected V-6s

In AD7-665 Eric writes "I never knew the V-6 used anything but
fuel-injection. As a carb'd model did it use down-draft units sitting between
the V? Did Alfa ever set the engine up this way and if they did is there a
part number for the manifold? (I'm having visions of 'muscle-car' style
protrusions through that hole in my GTV6's hood...perhaps some chromed
down-pipes.)

"Just kidding about conversion for my GTV6! But having a spare engine and
some ideas for possible projects, I would like to know."

The V6 was developed a loooong time before it saw the production line as a
carbed engine in the Alfa 6 sedan in 1979. It had downdraft Dellortos with
one venturi per cylinder, but swapping manifolds is not enough; the heads are
different too. If Eric REALLY wants to know, the person with the deepest
brain in the USA on these matters is Hans Milo of Smyrna, GA. Hans has an
"ordinary" carbed V6 very neatly (and tightly) wedged into a '73 GTV, and
also has a carbed three liter GTV-6 with an astronomical compression ratio
running on aviation gas. I wouldn't try this at home.

On a different tangent, I have twice seen photos in British magazines of
injected GTV-6 engine-bays with two plenums, one over the left head feeding
the right cylinders and another over the right head feeding the left
cylinders. In the context these were not shown as something different, just
"This is what a GTV-6 engine looks like." I am curious about
when/where/why/how, but it also suggests a way in which six single side-draft
carbs could be used, with substantial ram-pipe effect, on a GTV6 if one were
sufficiently ape.

John H.
Raleigh, N.C.