Re: alfa-digest V7 #663

In a message dated 4/26/99 11:18:11 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

<< From: "C. Peter Audet" <paudet@domain.elided>
 Subject: 2000 GT Veloce rescue

 Hi, everybody! I'm going to bring home a forlorn '74 GT Veloce (Spica) soon.
 It was last licensed in 1986, so has sat for a while :-). I plan to remove
 the plugs and squirt in a little 5w30, letting it soak for a few days to
 free the rings/cylinders. I will remove the old gas and check the plugs.
 Anything else I should do before trying to start it? Should I change the oil
 and filter first, or can it wait 'til after the test run?
 Peter, London, Canada

Squirt some diesel fuel into each cylinder.   Then let it sit for a few days.
It is thinner and acts as a much better penetrating oil than the motor oil.
Also, if you use motor oil you will likely really pump up the initial
compression, which might be tough on an engine that hasn't been run for
awhile (dry bearings, etc).   Furthermore, when you start the engine the
diesel fuel will clear out much better than the engine oil.  Speaking of
engine oil, definitely change oil and filter (remember the filter in the
Spica injector pump!) before starting the engine.

		Bill Sims