Alfas assembled outside of Italy

In AD7-663 Graham Hilder and George Caracatsanis add appreciably to the
questions and answers about Alfas assembled outside of Italy.

First, on Graham's question of "possible South African-only variations on the
basic Alfa design, which I have heard may have happened (possibly different
engine or gearing options and suchlike)", the South African Alfas very
definitely included a small number of carbureted three-liter GTV-6s; I do
have, but so far have not located, a substantial article about these in one
of the British classic car magazines. My recollection is that part of the
reason for their construction was to qualify this variation as a "production
car" for an anticipated competition program. Somebody (I have lost track of
who) mentioned an elusive rumor of V6-engined Giulietta Nuovas also. On less
radical variations such as different gearing, this was always the importer's
choice on the assembled cars in the USA; the factory had a long options list,
and the importer could chose a bare-bones economy specification or a more
sybaritic array of luxury features, and add its own flourishes with special
wheels, stripes, or aero kits. Surely an assembler, such as South Africa,
could do as much without official sanction by Alfa Romeo in Italy.

George Caracatsanis (and Graham's correspondent Darren) greatly extend the
list of assembly locations, and George wonders where the Maltese Supers were
destined to. I am reminded of a friend who once bought (or says he did) an AC
Aceca with enough parts deleted (steering wheel, tires- ) that it could get
under the wire as a kit car for tax-evasion purposes. "Manufacture" and
"assembly" can be loose terms, defined in different ways by different
authorities. One assumes that in the South African operation all the separate
body panels were pressed in Italy and shipped in and joined at the S.A.
factory, but whether gearboxes and engines would be shipped in pieces or as
units is less clear. Tony Stevens suggests that for the Spanish trucks and
vans the pressings were done locally. Every Alfa parts book that I have, from
the 750 Giuliettas through the Alfetta 2000s includes as "parts" complete
bodies in two states: the fully assembled bare shell, in primer, and the
fully trimmed and painted body, presumably with wiring-loom in place, but
without suspension or (presumably) drive train. A private party could buy a
complete 2000 GT Veloce as a kit at the parts-counter by buying a trimmed
body, an assembled engine, assembled transmission, rear axle, and a few
hundred lesser parts. If Malta, or Portugal, or Zimbabwe, wanted to restrict
but not eliminate importation and at the same time provide some semi-skilled
employment in the local economy without requiring great capital investments,
they could define "assembly" to simply include fitting engines, axles, wheels
etcetera to fully trimmed hulls, or to include painting, fitting glass,
hanging headliners and the rest on complete but bare hulls. It is at least
possible that the more improbable operations, such as Malta, might have just
assembled fifty cars a year for the local market.

That is highly speculative, but the list from Quattroruote's annual
'Dizionario delle Auto 1970' which George cites includes "Paraguay: Officine
Japsa. Assembly of Giulia 1300 TI, Giulia Super, 1750, 1300 GT Junior." A
roughly concurrent encyclopedia describes Paraguay as having a population of
roughly a million, most of them the indigenous Guarani indians, with the most
important export being cotton and the most important manufactures rum and
molasses, half of the nation's revenues coming from import duties, and
transportation being primarily by rivers. Which does not sound to me like a
place which would support a thriving and highly capitalized automobile
assembly plant (or exports) especially as two of its three neighboring
countries, Brazil and Argentina, did have car factories of sorts and
discouraged imports.

John H.
Raleigh, N.C.