low brake pedal

After just replacing the front calipers on the '86 Grad, I now have a low
brake pedal. This situation did not exist before. The brakes had felt like
they were not releasing, and, sure enough, I found stuck pistons on the
inner side of each caliper. I installed high quality rebuilt calipers, and
thoroughly bled the system (initially with a Mityvac, then with my wife as
the trusty pedal pusher). I've checked the one way valve on the vacuum
line, and I can blow through it one way only, though with resistance. The
booster passes the pedal test (pump up the pedal with the car off, hold the
pedal down lightly, start the car, and the pedal drops). The brakes feel
good when driving, with a good feel and no sponginess, but the pedal now
goes past half way before there is any effect at all. If there is no vacuum
to the booster, the pedal is high and firm, which I found when I thought I
would see what the brakes feel like without vacuum assist. I don't know
where to look next, as I've exhausted all checks recommended by my manuals.

BeckyCo@domain.elided
Mt. Prospect, IL
Ph 847.818.1090
Fx 847.818.1092