Re: alfa-digest V7 #661 - Ugly Bumpers

In a message dated 4/25/99 10:36:10 AM Central Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

<< From: richard <juju34@domain.elided>
 Subject: ugly bumpers...repalcement????

 since my 1976 is a keeper, never will be a show car, i want to replace
 the ugly bumpers...can anyone direct me to a source for earlier model
 bumpers that will fit...i am getting ready to strip the car for
 painting, order a new top and interiot...all my mechanicals are
 do...just finishing the electricles, now...

 thanking all for advice, help, and responces

 richard, a scot in exile

	I have a 74 rear bumper and am looking for 72 through 74 front
bumpers to put on my 82.  This will require making mounts and may require
cutting off the existing front mounts.  I think brackets can be built to
mount the rear rather easily.  I may do it, or may not.
	The ugly bumpers sort of grow on you.  Consider painting them body
color.  Consider getting some fibreglass replacements and painting them body
color.  There are also some people making bolt on replacements that make your
early spider look like the 91 and later spiders.  The ad I saw may have been
from Alfa Ricambi.  They were not cheap.
	On my 82 spider, I welded up the side marker lights, removed all
chrome script and lowered it with fat tires on 15 x 7 rims.  I think it looks
real good.  The stock bumpers are required to be legal in SCCA Solo II Street
prepared class, so I left them on.  However, I do not autocross all that
often and may change them.
    The "Ugly" bumpers do grow on you, especially when parked next to an 83
to 89 spider, which is really ugly.  The spoilers on the 83 through 85 or 86
spiders were squeezably soft foam rubber, so I call all mid 80's spiders
"rubber ducky."  I really hate the black rubber triangle in the front bumper,
but even that sort of grows on you.  They are all Alfas, after all.
Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City
82, 84, 85, 87 & 91 Spiders
and a few more Alfas plus two tow vehicles