blown 2L 164s

Zamani wrote:
If you can turbocharge a 164 2.0 TS that would be cool! You would have a
230bhp boat that is very nimble.

Chris Keen replied:
I think Saab already did this, only they called it the 9000 and put Saab
badges all over :-) And it had this funny hatch in the rear.

Bill Harkell added:
Yes SAAB does a damn fine turbo 2.0, I used to sell them, and it was a nice
if emotion free mill.

The 164 has been available with two 2.0 Turbos, although neither did 115
hp/liter. The better known is the 2.0i V6 with 80 mm x 66.2 mm, 1996 cc, 201
CV. But there was also, in 1988 only, a 164 2.0i Turbo with the 84 mm x 90 mm
1995 cc engine used in the Croma and Thema, producing 171 CV. D'Amico &
Tabucchi say that "certain Alfa purists felt that something of the Milanese
marque's essential spirit had been lost."

D'A & T give 186 CV as the figure for the 155 2.0i 16V Q4, which together
with the other two liter turbos would lead me to question Zamani's 230 hp
figure, unless it results from substituting SAE ponies for DIN stallions.

John H.
Raleigh, N.C.