it's the rear wheel bearing...

I posted the following message last November.   Since this was not my
wife's primary car and my work was quite busy, I didn't start looking
for the real culprit until a few weeks ago.  Suggestions from fellow
Alfa digesters pointed to 3 suspects: rear sway bar, u-joint, and
wheel bearing.  Since everything was tight underneath the car, there
was no abnormal vibration at the gear shift knob, and the noise came
from the rear right wheel (this was confirmed by my riding a bicycle
and chasing the Spider driven slowly by my wife), the rear right wheel
bearing was the prime suspect.  Last Thursday night, while trying to
take out the right axle shaft, I noticed there was dirty grease on the
inner brake pad and the inner brake shoe linings.  At this point, I
was 90% sure it's the bearing.  As I couldn't win the tug-of-war with
my Spider to get the axle shaft out without using a slide hammer
puller, I assembled everything back together last Saturday and drove
her to an Alfa shop.  The mechanic was 100% sure the rear right
bearing was shot upon learning the symptoms and the dirty grease on
brake parts.  With the right Alfa factory tools, he was able to get
the dead bearing out and a new bearing in in a short period of time.
He also thought this was a weird case of rear wheel bearing failure.
The noise was always there while going forward and the free play (from
grabbing and shaking the tire) was much less than that I remembered
when my 33 and Alfetta GTV 2000 had a bad wheel bearing.

I would like to thank Bryan Bettencourt, Chris Finks, Greg Hermann,
Rich Hirsch, Fred Di Matteo, and Brian Shorey for their valuable
suggestions.

Best wishes,

Chisheng Huang