Re: V6 Production Numbers? redux

On Apr 20,  9:06am, John Hertzman wrote:

Thanks again to Mr. Hertzman for the followup on the Giulietta Nuova details.

> David mentions "I don't believe the 1.3 was available in the UK, and this may
> be a continuation of Alfa's history of selling small-engined economy models
> in less well-developed countries.  They certainly sold a 1.0 or 1.1 Alfasud
> in Greece, for example, while the smallest UK 'Sud engine was 1.2 litres."
> The 1.0 or 1.1 Alfasud does not show up in either Fusi or d'Amico-Tabucchi;
> they both give 80 x 59 mm, 1186 cc as the initial proportion and go up from
> there, with no mention I could find of any smaller variant.

Hmmm, well it is almost 10 years since my trips to Greece, so my memory could
very well be acting up again.  Perhaps what I saw was a 1.2, an engine size
available only on the earlier 'Sud models in the UK.  Alfa may have continued
to supply the smallest displacement to Greece and other countries with a demand
for it (I wonder if this is supported by Fusi or d'Amico-Tabucchi?).  However,
in the UK the choice of models moved to 1.3 and 1.5 (plus single or twin carb
variations) at some point.  I think the 1.7 and 4-valve-per-cylinder versions
of the boxer motor were not available until the Sud was out of production, and
were options in the 33, although I have heard of people retrofitting them to
'Suds in the same manner that the 3.0 164/Milano upgrade is popular for the
GTV-6 in the US.

> I apologize for the mistakes, taking small comfort from those in Fusi and
> d'Amico-Tabucchi. Just hope my tax return isn't audited-

Same goes for me (regarding both mistakes and audits :).

Dave J.
1982 GTV-6

- --