Milano rear wheel bearing question.

Hi everyone

I have a troublesome problem with what I think must be a rear wheel bearing
on an 88 Verde.  Makes a rumbley bad bearing noise in the back of the car
that starts about 30 mph, grows in strength til about 40 (by which time it
is really annoying), and from there on wavers in intensity based on speed.
Even a slight turn to the right will eliminate the noise completely.  It is
road speed dependent and not engine speed dependent.  Also driveline load
(accelerating/coasting) doesn't affect it.  So methinks, right rear wheel
bearing is in order.  So I got one, procrastinated for about 18 months, and
finally after a long weekend and a fair amount of pain, I put it in.  The
initial test drive reveals.... Exactly the same symptoms.
(Aaaaaaarrrrrrrgg)  Did I blow the diagnosis?  Can leaving a wheel bearing
in the garage (not heated) for the better part of two years cause damage?
Help (please)

Thanks

Damien