Giulia gearboxes

WHO SAID AN OLD ALFA BOX HAS BAD SYNCHRO'S !!!!!!!!!!

I drive my Giulia super 1750 (nicknamed the BMW-killer) with 150 bhp more
than 225000 Km.'s  (aprox 140000 M.) without taking the "box" appart and
with still a smooth change up and down in all gears:

For the spoilt drivers who are only used to slick japanese boxes (or even
worse automatics) here are the ground rules:

1	Not only an engine needs warming up, gearboxes also. (so change slow and
without force while cold)

2	Do NEVER pull in a gear with force, use the flat middle of your had so
the gearstick will find its way itself

3	Press clutch pedal always complete down to the bottom (w.m. use complete
pedal travel)

4	For the real old cars: Adjust clutch movement correctly and check regularly

5	If 1st. or R does not engage smootly while standing stil, engage 2nd for
a moment and after that 1st. or R.

5	Check gearbox and final drive oil level regurlarly (Yes, I know..., it is
also not my favourite hobby)

6	Change your gear- and final drive oil at least once a year, check oil oil
for alloy sediment and the plug- magneto for iron.

6	Use a good quality gear oil (best is synthetic)

The ground rule with every part of complicated technic:  BE PATIENT AND DO
NOT USE ANY BRUTE FORCE !

Thom Fransen
fransen@domain.elided