please "edubicate" me

     O.K., let assume for a minute that I'm a computer analyst and not an
     "Auto Repair/Alfa Expert" :-)

     I'm starting to put the mechanicals of my car project ('74 spider)
     back together. Most of the nuts and washers (although thoroughly gross
     looking now) appear to have been a yellowish color originally. I've
     always referred to this as cadmium plating. I'm I right so far?

     I would like to have "new" looking hardware on my newly rebuilt engine
     and differential. I can find metric hardware at a few hardware stores,
     but it's all (what I would call) "zinc". Which I suspect will rust
     eventually. no?

     So to get to the point, if I want "new" hardware where can I get it?
     -or- Can I send my "gross looking" stuff somewhere and have it
     re-plated?

     Lastly, should I be concerned about the hardware "grade" for things
     like water pump nuts, oil pan bolts, differential nuts and washers,
     etc.

     In closing, I must admit that when it comes to this type of thing I
     guess I'm what a "computer analyst" would call a "newbie".

     Please EDUCATE me!

     Tim Lentz
     Tampa, FL