Re: alfa-digest V7 #649

In a message dated 4/18/99 11:01:34 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

<< From: "Stefano Iachella" <iachella@domain.elided>
 Subject: Shankle header cracked

 Hey cats,

 My Shankle header on the Alfetta just cracked at #3 cylinder about an
 inch from the head. In Jim Kartalamakis' book he says that 116 cars
 with tubular headers inevitably crack if a flexible joint is not
 incorporated
 somewhere after the first resonator. >>
Stefano,

I ran Ansa tubular headers on an Alfetta for 5 years before they rotted out,
but they did not crack.  For the record, the rust was expedited when I used
header wrap.  The header wrap did not help hp noticeably, but did reduce the
heat on the brake and clutch master cylinders.  I have cracked #3 cylinder of
a set of European cast iron headers when I struck a high spot in the road
(car is very low).

I have Jim's book, and think some of his best info is on the exhaust system.
He says that a low restriction muffler/resonator does not reduce hp compared
to a straight pipe.  Maybe that's because it allows the gases further
downline room to cool and decompress.  I've had about 5 different systems on
an Alfetta and believe Jim is onto something.  Seems to me the #1 concern is
having pipes that are big enough after the headers.  And for the record, the
European cast iron headers were equal in performance to the Ansa tubular
headers.  Haven't had the Shankle ones (they were out of them when I needed a
set a couple of years ago).

			Bill Sims