The Eckersley Alfa, 1932 8C 2300 Pinin Farina Cabriolet

I attended the Brooks auction in London on Wednesday night (14th), and
witnessed the sale of the Eckersley Alfa Romeo 8c 2300 Pinin Farina
Cabriolet, property of the late Mr Brian Eckersley, who bought the car in
1956 for one hundred pounds sterling, as a wedding present for his wife.

Although totally original, the car was in need of a fair amout of work to
bring it up to the level of finish one expects with such rare models (it is
believed to be one of only five in existence).

However, this did not deter some serious bidding, both in the auction hall,
and via phone from the USA, where eventually the successful bidder parted
company with 525,000 pounds sterling (plus commision!) In my books thats a
total of approx 900,000 US dollars. So, you lucky guys on the East Coast may
get to see this famous car some day.

By total contrast, a 1971 LHD Montreal, finished in Orange and described as
being in 'excellent' condition, went under the hammer for 3,900 sterling,
about 6000 US. What a steal!

Ciao,

Ian

P.S. I'll put some 'photos on the home page when I get back home from my
current business trip.