FrankenSpider Lives!

Friday was The Day: Time to bring this amalgam of Spiders back to the
road.

I picked the car up around 1pm on Friday, drove it down to the emissions
referee in San Jose where it passed smog tests with flying colors,
finished off the DMV paperwork. 3 months in the shop, a gazillion details
later, it's now insured, certified, registered, and stickered. Yahoo!

Later on Friday evening, I picked up Beth and we ran back up to retrieve
the MR2. It's so NICE to drive a top down car on a warm evening again!
I'm smiling all the way... Saturday, I ran it up to Livermore and back,
up to a friend's house in the Santa Cruz mountains and back, to the
grocery store and back, stopping and starting, keeping it under 4000 on
average while breaking in the new pistons and rings, but working it
reasonably. Between Friday and Saturday, oh about 250 miles or so. I'm
pleased with what I see as fuel mileage so far: about a half tank in
150-175 miles.

Okay, so after all the work, money and time, what's it like?

This is the first time that this assembly of parts has been all together
in one car. The interior is a functional but odd-looking mismatch of
tan/brown/red bits from two different cars. The leather seats are good if
a little worn. The mirrors are painted to match to a red '82 Spider ...
which looks awfully silly on a silver '79 body. The body desperately
needs a serious rubbing out and wax. The headlights are aimed a bit too
high. The usual bunch of leaves and junk are blowing their way out of the
ventilation system. The radio isn't hooked up yet. Yeah, we need some
work there. Function before style...

The Bosch L-Jet engine with high compression pistons is a much more
willing starter and likes to rev far more than my stock, 90+Kmile '78
SPICA engine did. The throttle is lighter and it's difficult to keep it
under 4000 rpm. It feels much more like my '71 did way back when.

Hitting the brakes the first couple of times, it pulled left than right
then settled down into just stopping. A little soft ... they needed to
bed in properly, which they're now well on the way to doing. The gearbox
is definitely less worn than the '78 was: the action is more positive and
tighter, the synchros work a lot better. It does want to pop out of gear
in reverse and third gear synchro is not 100%; I'll overhaul it
eventually. The chassis is solid: it tracks true and tight, the
suspension seems very good.

Idle is a bit fluffy still when cold or on restart from hot but seems to
be improving. I figured these injectors have not had to work for a living
for a while, a bit of injector lube and cleaner is likely in order, so a
bottle of Techron and a full tank of gas went in. I'm finding it has
definitely improved things. So far, I'm not detecting any detonation or
pinging with the hi-compression pistons either: they seem to be a big
win.

The switch to the '82 4.10:1 differential really makes me happy. This
engine is now very capable of pulling the taller gearing and it makes the
gearbox much more useful, as well as giving a more relaxed cruise at
speed. I always felt the '71 and '78 Spiders were geared too short and
were 'busy' on the highway. This is much better, as long as you have the
power to pull it.

There are some niggly bits that still need work. The '79 light switch is
a bit worn and the running lights go out occasionally until I fiddle with
it again, I'll replace it with the better one from the '78. The horn
switch is a bit sticky, but it has come back to life. There's a little
noise from the rear of the car which sounded like either some stuff
rattling around in the trunk or the exhaust hitting: probably a little of
both. I moved stuff in the trunk around and it went away, but the exhaust
is very close on one side and touches if you push it an inch to the
right. The steering box needs an adjustment as it's a touch loose on
center. The speedo needs a rebuild, the oil pressure gauge needs a new
sending unit.

All in all, a successful job and a very nice Spider. My list of niggles
is remarkably short given the amount of things that got changed and
shuffled around to build this car. The cosmetic touches can wait, the
mechanical details will get attended to soon. I can't wait to let this
engine rip up to it's power peak ... it sounds so healthy and runs really
really well. And I also can't wait to unburden the car of those heavy
bumpers and fit my fiberglass replicas -- that will make a huge
difference to the handling feel.

I'm one very happy Spider driver. :)

Godfrey

End of alfa-digest V7 #648