SPICA Problems in Deutchland

A "sooty" deposit on the plugs doesn't necessarily mean that you have a
mixture problem. It could be caused by worn distributor parts and/or too
cool a plug for the kind of driving you do. I'd check it out first. If it
checks out, read on ...

A rich mixture is caused by either too little air or too much fuel
getting to the combustion chamber. Assuming that there is free air flow,
the fuel flow (i.e. richness) is adjusted by rotating the fuel cutoff
solenoid. This is the solenoid that is located on the top of the pump
toward the FRONT of the engine.

When viewed from above, clockwise rotation of the solenoid leans the
mixture. Conversely, counterclockwise rotation enriches it. The trick is
loosening the solenoid lock ring enough to rotate the solenoid without
the factory tool ... but it can be done. (Be sure that you reference the
solenoid position to the pump body and disconnect the wire before you
loosen anything.) Lacking any special tools to precisely monitor the
mixture, I would lean it out until the rpms begin to drop and then back
off 1/8 to 1/4 turn (i.e. 45 to 90 degrees). Re tighten the lock ring.
You may have to experiment a little, starting from 45 degrees, to get the
right setting.

The ignition switch wiring is a little tougher problem. I suspect that
you may have miswired the new switch when you installed or the switch is
defective. Assuming the switch is a factory "Nieman" replacement, there
should be 8 spade connectors on the switch. Only five are used. The brown
wire goes to either of the connectors marked "15/54" (doesn't matter
which one), the green wire goes to "16", the black wire goes to "50", the
white and the red wires connect to "int".

Don't know much about Bosch distributors except that they were not OEM on
US versions of the Spider. (US versions had the Marelli S103B) But I
would think that they would both install the same way. That means that
you will need to remove the distributor to service it and check the
bushings for wear. Easily done by removing the nut securing the adjusting
plate to the block and withdrawing it from the block.

Hope this helps.

Tom Muccino
Amherst, NH
(603)672.0763