Re: Spider, Door Locks

     <I can't explain why the cylinder would come out of the handle, unless
     something
     <inside the mechanism is shearing off the retainer, have not had one
     apart this
     <far to see.

     About a year ago, I called a couple of locksmiths about re-keying the
     locks for my '74 spider project. After I got the "ALPHA ROMERO WHAT?"
     response from all of them, I decided to re-key them myself (using the
     6 or so door handle/locks I had laying around). The cylinder is held
     in the handle, or is that "handel" ;-), by a screw. I went back
     through my photos and found one of the entire lock mechanism. I have
     posted the image to: www/mindspring.com/~tlentz/alfa/lock.jpg
     The photo shows all the pieces in the order of assembly. (I could go
     into more detail but the photo really tells the whole story).

     One word of caution, when you pull the cylinder out from the handle,
     BE VERY CAREFUL, the cylinder holds SPRING LOADED shims that will POP
     OUT(explode)! If this happens and if you happen to be lucky enough to
     find the shims and little, tiny, springs you will need to get them
     back in the correct slots for the key to operate the cylinder. (I
     wrapped tape around the cylinder as soon as I extracted them)

     I have extra pieces to the "spider" locks if needed (see above).

     Tim Lentz
     Tampa, FL
     '74 Spider (under construction)

End of alfa-digest V7 #643