Locking cars rant

While I am sympathetic to those who want to secure their car, in my own
opinion the only good time to lock the doors is when you are already
inside. Locking them when you are inside helps prevent (but not
completely) car jackings. Locking them when you are outside doesn't help
anything.

On a spider it is an extremely simple matter of cutting the top and
popping it open to get inside when the car is parked. Then they have
ruined an $800 top to get at your $200 radio. But even on a sedan, all
it takes is a brick through the window to very quickly get at what is
inside.

I never lock either of my cars (a spider and a Milano) when parked. One
day the Milano was left parked outside a veteranarian (sp?) office. The
three cars beside mine had their windows broken while someone was trying
to get at what was inside. My car was fine, and nothing was taken.

This always elicits gasps of fear from other people. But really, I would
much rather a thief open up the door to see that there was nothing to
steal. Far easier than having to deal with an insurance company to get
something repaired. I never have nice radios in my cars (if I did I
would get those removable gizmos). And really, if someone wants to steal
the whole car, a locked door won't even slow them down.

Don't even get me started on car alarms.

MY OPINIONS ONLY!

Scott Johnson
Alfa Spider FAQ Author