Brake lamps and warings

I know this will sound ridiculous and you will dismiss this suggestion but
....... At least try it first :)
The fault is most likely the brake light switch itself. I had the same fault
on my 164.
To test it just disconnect the switch. Then with the car running short them
together then separate them. You will probably find the two warning lights
in question flicker when the connection is being made and separated. The
warning unit seems to see an intermittent or bad connection as a fault. If
this is the problem just replace the switch. Since you live in the US you
should be able to get a replacement easily.

Another very quick test to try is start the car and then lift the brake
pedal by putting your foot under it and lifting. This will press the pedal
harder against the switch and may be enough to give a slightly better
connection and so extinguish the warning lights

Good Luck

Matthew Dooher
1989 164-A
Dunedin, New Zealand