Re: alfa-digest V7 #630 - Restrictors in the oil passages

Simon,
	I was not suggesting that everyone partly plug off the oil passages
to the cam bearings and I am not sure I agree with it.   However, my friend
HAS done this to 5 of the 6 bearings and his engine is alive and well in a
racing environment.  Thus, all the concern about roll pins constricting oil
flow to the cam bearings was, I felt, of no consequence.  That was the point
I was trying to make: roll pins are not going to limit oil flow enough to
matter.
	I too read the article in Sports Car.  Maybe I will go read it again.
 It was pretty interesting.  Especially the way oil pressure and flow
interact with the "leakage" around the bearing surfaces.
	Your comment about oil pressure at the rod bearing due to centrifugal
force is appropriate to the Alfa four cylinder.  Study the crank and it is
obvious that oil to the #2 and #4 main has to travel out to the rod journal
and BACK against the centrifugal force.  That is the reason I drill the block
for full oiling to all five main bearings.
    Finding fully grooved inserts for all five main bearings can be a
problem.  It is necessary to drill a hole in the 2 & 4 bearing inserts.  Some
parts purveyors do not understand what I am asking them to look for in their
bearing package.  Given the recent thread, I sure ain't gonna ask that by E
Mail!
Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City

In a message dated 4/10/99 2:09:54 PM Central Daylight Time,