164 Overheating problems

I believe I recently saw a post describing my own recent experience, as
follows:

The car stays at 175 degrees while moving on the highway. Once I get into
stop-and-go city traffic, the temperature slowly begins to rise, and,
although it's never gotten to the 250 degree "red line", I believe it would,
given sufficient time. The fan never kicks in during these temperature
"creep" periods.
Plus, I'm losing coolant (which I believe is attributable to a cracked
reservoir bottle).
Any thoughts? Bum fan switch, bad thermostat? Bad karma?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Joe Fillip
Swarthmore, PA
'88 Spider