164 daily drives

Sometime ago there was a thread about 164's as daily drives (my computer was
down) and recently there is discussion with a degree of similarity about the
merits of the 164 vs the spider. For what its worth here is the current
status of my search for a daily drive after a tree converted my 164 to a
fastback.

So far I have driven:
Lexus IS200 (3 series size 2 litre RWD) This is an excellent car with
outstanding chassis dynamics that is let down by a very Japanese style dash.
It is also a little squeezy and just launched in Australia so availability
is not easy and price gets high with creature comforts added (circa
AUS$65,000)
Alfa 156 is a nice car, but the autos aren't available yet. The twin spark
is a come down after the V6 and the fit and finish is not as good as the
164. I also prefer the size of the 164 The 156 is around AUD$60,000
BMW 323i This car is an enigma. It does so many things really well, but some
really puzzling things badly. The standard seats, for instance, make my back
ache. This is another car that needs to be heavily optioned to be
acceptable. The  ZF steptronic transmision is really nice, but not
programmed quite as well as the one used in the 164. It is okay in sport
mode but lacks adequate engine braking. The new E46 model has been made to
look and feel like a small 5 series and it has lost the sporting edge of
earlier models. I don't like the small glass area, the suspension and RWD
handling is pure joy, but at around AUD$80,000 is just too much.
Volvo 850T this car is a rocket. Great seats, everything works well, but I
really have trouble with the concept of transitioning from Alfa to Volvo.(I
don't own a hat)
Audi A4. I found this car a real disappointment. I drove a demonstrator with
very few kilometres on the clock, but the susprension was woefully soft and
the tiptronic transmission never seemed to know what gear it wanted to be
in. There is no way it is worth the money. Road & track recently did an
article where they raved about the quattro. It must be a very different car.

Toyata Camry V6 This Australian built FWD car is surprisingly good - just a
bit boring to sit in and look at. It can be improved greatly with 16 inch
wheels and Bilsteins, but it starts to spend money that is unlikely to be
recovered.Price? around AUD$45,000

That is the current extent of my shopping list. I prefer the 164 to any of
the above cars and importing secondhand from Hong Kong is a real option.It
just doesn't seem that anyone really makes sports sedans anymore.  Does
anyone have any other options?

Doug Gould
ex 164L
borrowed 87 Toyota Cressida