New Alfa Sales

With regard to Godfrey's comment about Alfa prices and whether they
would sell here, note that the original comment was about whether or not
CLUB MEMBERS (ARA) would be partly responsible for enough interest
generated to warrent bringing the Alfa to our shores again.

>>That's easily within the price range of most of
>>the people I know who are looking for something beyond the economy
line
>>car these days. Remember that a Mazda Miata averages somewhere around
>>$25-26K out the door now.

I don't believe that out of our 800 plus membership we would generate
more than 2% in new Alfa sales. Many members like the older styles, and
would rather purchase another older model, many are into restoration,
many into racing the older ones, and a great percentage now have the
only Alfa they will ever buy, and we (ARA) never hear from them anyway.
The interest is there, but not enough to buy a $35K new one. Strictly my
opinion, of course, but even the 164, did not generate an earth shaking
sales volume. You seldom see a good looking restored Lexus, Volvo, Audi
or even many BMWs. A restored Alfa is a true vision to behold. Well
worth restoring. So why buy a new one? We just like buying each others
projects and restorations.
Part of the reason Alfa stopped exporting to us. Miserable sales. I'm
disappointed too.

Bill Bergman
'89 spider (and happy with it after 7 years)