Re: engine roll- or dowel pins

At 10:11 AM 4/7/99 -0400, Hirsch wrote:
>(For those that don't know, roll pins are installed in the
>block to keep the head gasket O-rings from collapsing, which
>will lead to head gasket failure.)
>
>My questions:
>1) Should we just drive the existing roll pins further down
>into the block and install new ones on top of the old ones?

You may be aware of this, but the technical bulletins for the V6 engine
lists an oil pin modification. T.b. number 89.09 states that "Any 81-85 V6
engine which still has the old style oil pin (roll pin) should have the
tapered pin installed on top of the old roll pin". It goes on to explain
that the roll pin should be tapped down until flush with the block, and the
new pin placed over the old pin tapped down until the straight section
protrudes 1.5mm above the block surface.
So it seems that in the V6 at least it's allright to drive the old roll
pins into the block.
Hope this helps.

Best, Jaap Bouma (Netherlands)
'87 GTV6 2.5 Grand Prix