Rear main oil seal replacement: Alfetta

I did something stupid the other day (what, again??)

I had had enough of the foam air filters/trumpets
attached to the 45mm carbs on this car (the noise
was nice but extremely loud) so I bought a 2nd hand
airbox and ground out the mounting so it didn't restrict
the 45mm carb throats.

I plugged it all in without cleaning out the canister
thingy on top that filters the breather from
the cam cover.  It was plugged pretty much solid
and in two days driving I managed to make the rear
main oil seal leak like you wouldn't believe.

I cleaned out the canister, but the leak hasn't
gone away.

Has anybody changed the rear main seal without removing
the engine?  From what I can remember, I don't think
I can undo the bell housing without at least shifting the
engine forward a couple of inches.  Once shifted
forward, I'm not sure I can get enough purchase on
the flywheel bolts to get it off and gain access to
the seal.

If you've done this successfully, I'd appreciate
some pointers.

dave.