Re: alfa-digest V7 #616 - 164 Automatic

owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

<< There is nothing wrong whatsoever with a 164 automatic.  While a lot of
 die-hards around here (notice I didn't say Russ Neely by name?) consider a
 164 to not be a TRUE Alfa Romeo, take the car for what it is: a large,
 luxury sedan.  It's not meant to autocross, it's not a racecar (as most
 other Alfas are or can be.)  The 164 is the equivalent of a BMW 700 series,
 not a Z3.  >>

Howard,
	Did I tell you the story about my wife almost pulling a "Jill?"  I
slept late one Sunday and my wife announced that there were ads for three
Alfas in the Sunday paper.  Something strange was going on.  My wife never
reads the Alfa want ads.  Among other things, that is MY job!
	Turns out one of the phone numbers belonged to a fellow Alfa club
member who owned a BLUE (Peg's color) 87 Spider Veloce.  She allowed as how
she had the money and was willing to spend it on that ONE.  We called and
bought the car site unseen, or unseen since last fall.
	Peg later confessed that she had read the want ads as she intended to
buy herself a 164.  For goodness sakes (explicative changed), Peg, A 164???
Those things have stepper motors and funky seat adjusters that die all the
time and worse of all they are WRONG WHEEL DRIVE!
	Anyway, she did pull a "Jill."  Luckily she bought a proper Alfa and
I could quit shouting and ranting and raving and .....
Ciao,
Russ Neely
Anti_Front_Wheel_Drive_Bigot
Anti_Automatic_Transmission_Bigot

PS  Jill is Mrs. Tim Taylor on Tool Time / Home Improvement.  In one episode,
she inherited some money and decided to buy a car.  She would not take Tim's
suggestions, which, of course, drove him crazy.  She ended up with an Austin
Healey 3000, not the Muscle Car Camero he wanted her to want.  That is also
the episode that has an Alfa on the lot and Tim makes some off color (in my
opinion) remarks about how she better not buy an Alfa.