Re: 164 Twinspark problems

Last weekend I replaced the distributor cap and rotor arms on my 164 (1992),
the lead from the coil to the right hand had corroded, so I think I was only
running off one distributor.  I took the car for a ten minute drive,
everything seemed ok, power and smoothness were reduced but ok.  The
following day the car could not idle and was undrivable.  Thankfully the AA
helped me out by stripping the old (corroded) ignition lead.  The engine just
managed to idle and make some power.  Today I bought two new ignition leads,
the engine is better than it was but is not 100%.  Under acceleration and
cruising on the motorway it feels rough and is hesitant.

If I had mixed up the cable order on the distributor cap, would it produce
these symptoms?

Can someone tell me which leads go to which spark plug to make sure I have
them in correct order

If I try and run only off the right distributor (as I look at the engine) the
engine turns over but does not catch.  Doing the same for the left, it runs
but is very rough, does the twinspark need both distributors to function
correctly in order for the engine to run

Steve
164 TS 1992 (preface lift)
Cumbria UK