re: timing chain tensioner woes

Marcus -

A question I can answer!  The same thing happened to me when I went to
re-assemble my '81 Spider.  There's probably any number of tricks =
people
have used to fix this one, but here's the one I used.  I'll bet the
wedge has slipped behind the tensioner - putting the tensioner back in
knocked the wedge off the little post on the lock bolt.  Here's how to
get it out without taking the head off.  This fix came from Fred
DiMatteo:

1.	Move the upper chain out of the way by draping it over the other
side of the chain case (after you've paper clipped the ends together)
and hook a piece of wire around an exhaust stud or something so that =
you
won't have to fish the chain out of the case.

2.	After stuffing enough rags into the timing case so that the
wedge won't fall into the chain case, remove the tensioner.  You can
then fish the wedge out with a magnet or a piece of wire.  Don't let it
fall into the chain case.

3.	Thread the inside hole on the wedge with a tap.  I think it was
6-32, but Fred knows the exact thread side, so call him.  Get a fairly
long bolt (1.5 - 2") of the same thread.

4.	Insert the wedge and thread the bolt into the hole in the wedge
through the hole in the timing case for the lock bolt for the =
tensioner.
You just want to thread the bolt on just deep enough to be flush with
the back side of the wedge.  If the bolt sticks out too far, it'll foul
up putting the tensioner back in by hitting the spring.

5.	Now, using the threaded bolt to hold the wedge in place, you can
slide the tensioner back in place, and once the tensioner's slid home,
unscrew the small bolt and screw in the tensioner lock bolt.  Pay
attention to make sure that the "nipple" on the tensioner bolt is in =
the
hole in the wedge.

6.	Voila!  Remove rags, hook up chain, etc.  Do not use "gorilla
torque" on the tensioner bolt.

Fred told me about this trick one very cold New Year's Day when I was
out in my garage trying to deal with the same problem you've got.
Worked like a charm and a heck of a lot easier than either yanking the
head or trying to get out that threaded plug.

Bill Bain
'83 Spider (75 degrees and sunny today in Hot'lanta -  Spider weather!)