RE: Removing Pistons

As I am now looking at oil consumption in the area of 1qt/150mi with a
recent valve job, I THINK it might be time to renew my rings.  This seems
like a crude but reasonable in-car strategy for the job, although until now
I've only heard about the technique involving head AND sump removal, which I
think allows replacement of rod bearings and pin bushings.  Any thoughts on
the viablilty of this approach?  Would the pin removal/reinstall from above
really work?  Is it usually necessary to change out the rod bearings and pin
bushings?

Thanks,
W. B. Peale
69 GT Veloce