Re: alfa-digest V7 #610 - Ignition Switch Removal

owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

<< "m williams" <gturismo62@domain.elided>
 Subject: ignition key

 Would anyone have advice on how to remove the ignition key mechanism on
 the steering column of a 1974 spider parts car?  I removed the shroud,
 but am at a loss as to how to proceed.  I want to transfer the entire
 key mechanism to another spider, if possible. Thanks.    M. Williams

	Put your head on the foot feed, your butt in the seat and your legs
over the seat back.  Now wiggle your way back out and get a hammer and a
chisel and a trouble light.  On the front of the housing is a round headed
bolt in a small depression that holds the ignition switch in place.  You
might be able to see the fracture point where the original bolt head sheared
off on installation.  Use the chisel to cut a groove off center in the bolt
head and then use the groove to unscrew the bolt anti clock wise.
	If that does not work, you can cut a screw slot in the bolt head with
a hacksaw or air cut off tool.  You are going to mess up the aluminum housing
a bit if you do this, but it is on the front side (away from the driver and
out of site) plus it is covered with the plastic housing.  Or fire up the hot
blue wrench and torch the whole thing out.
	I use a regular bolt with a head that does not break off upon
installation.  I have also reused the round headed bolt, but after making a
screwdriver slot in it.
	This procedure applies to all Alfas I have tried it on (I know
nothing of the 164).  The Milano is easier as the bolt is on top and can be
removed from the driver's seat with your head upward.
Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City