Fuel gauge short

I have a 71 Spider with an intermittant fuel gauge and a perfect Saturday for
a tinker. The gauge works sporadically; something for periods of minutes, but
mostly just a flicker (including when the car is sitting idling --i.e. no
bumps). Suspecting a short, I've checked/cleaned the easy parts (i.e.
connections
on gas tank), with a slight reduction in flicker.

My questions are:
- - How do I get at the back of the gauge to check connections?
- - Is there some other part of the circuit I need to check?

Many thanks in advance. I'll post a summary of suggestions/advice I
receive off-digest.

Simon Montagu.