164 Fan Thermo Switch

I used to worry about my 164S overheating in summer rush hour traffic
(though at this time we have rush hour but not summer). I changed the thermo
switch with late model (85-93) VW Golf switch. The actual switch is an after
market: Behr 321 959 481 M. Here are the numbers:
Original   low speed on    92C (198 F), high speed    97C  (207F)
Replacement               79C (174 F)                85C  (185F)
If you want a switch that will operate at a different temperature you should
have no trouble finding one. This replacement is a lot easier than adding
relays.
Ted Siverns, Vancouver BC, Canada.