Re: About new car when no new Alfa available

Well, I had a reverse problem.
What to do when there's loads available.
My Twin-Spark 164 is rapidly coming up to 100,000 and sooner or later it will
need money spent on it.  The only replacement parts in 5 years have been belts
for the A/C & Alternator, tyres, exhaust, A/C condensor, trailing links and a
thermostat.
So I go down to my local Alfa dealer who's looked after mine for a few years and
try to choose between a couple of year old 2.5V6 156s, a new 2.0 Spider, a
couple of new 166s (silver or dk blue), a 2yr old 2.0 GTV oh, and a 2 week old
3.0 GTV V6 which some chap bought and then decided he didn't like.
Biggest problem with Alfa these days is not just that they don't make anything
ugly, they don't make anything that isn't highly desirable.
Sorry Godders - so there is a downside to California.
Gordon

> From: Godfrey DiGiorgi <ramarren@domain.elided>
> Subject: Re:  About new car when no new Alfa available
>
> A Cadillac Catera as replacement for a Tipo 164? Doesn't cut it in my
> book. I've driven the Opel Vectras and Omegas as rentals in Europe ...
> they feel flaccid and dull by comparison to the 156. To me, anyway.
>
> Here in the Land o' da Secure and the Home of the Discrete ... ;) ... the
> closest thing in handling feel I've driven to the 156 is the VW Passat or
> Audi A6. They're not as nice, the teutonic starkness doesn't do the same
> things for me that the Alfa does, but they have a lively, sporting feel
> to them that I feel the BMWs and Bobos and anything GM just misses.
>
> But they're not Alfas, dammit. I really wish that FIAT would bring us the
> 156, GTV and Spider. I really enjoyed my test rides in them last year. I
> keep hoping.
>
> Godfrey

ey