RE: Flywheels

Thanks to Frank and all others that responded.  It was my notion that the
function of the flywheel  is to add momentum to a slow revving engine.  I
did not know that a lighter flywheel would so severely impair the street
driveability.  May be a partial lightening wont cause harm, but probably
wont do any good either.  I do know its a hot item in *M* cars (not MB but M
followed by an uneven number), but still not sure of the real gain.  Guess
its not for street, at least.

Jorge
Frank also mentioned in his response:
"Lightened gears do have a great effect."
How much of an effect, and is it cost effective?

> >  I don't have the answer, just a related question:
> >  In other marques, such as B**mers, they put a lot of emphasis in using
> light
> >  weight flywheels to decrease mass drag (inertia),  same
> principle used to.....................
Frank responded: