RE: 98 Octane?

Dave answered:
>  Octane is not a measure of energy, but of resistance to burning.
>  The reason
> that performance street or racing engines often use higher octane
> fuel is to
> provide resistance to detonation.  This allows you to run higher
> compression
> ratios or more timing without blowing holes in your pistons.

++++++++++++++++++++
Octane rating is only one of the fuel qualities.  I know that higher octane
alone will not do much unless there is a turbo or supercharger.  I mentioned
it for ID purposes.  However, fuels have other qualities such as Burning
Speed, (the speed at which a fuel releases its energy.  If the fuel is still
burning after peak cylinder pressure, it's a waste, and perhaps
counterproductive).  Energy Value, an expression of the potential energy in
the fuel, measured in BTU's per pound.  Cooling Effect, related to the heat
of vaporization, the higher, the better, but granted, more inportant in 2
stroke engines than in 4 stroke.
So I thought that these higher quality racing fuels might be of some
benefit.  Since I have no racing experience I thought I ask.  By hte way I
failed to mention they cost about 3 times more!

Thanks to Dave for his response.

Jorge, who wishes his Milano was as fast as an M3
(no I'm not buying an M3, I like the Milano better)
Redlands, CA