re: Synthetic oils for older cars?

>With this oil thread dripping along: are synth oils ok for the
>60/70's 1750/2000? seems to me the older P-cars don't like it
>unless a modern gasket set has been installed during a
>rebuild...orig. gasket material prone to deteriorate with synth.?

Went through this last year. After suitable discussion with folks on the
list, I switched my '78 Spider from Castrol GTX to Mobil 1 15w50. It felt
like it revved more easily and made some fraction better power but those
were probably in my mind. There was no increase in oil seepage or
consumption, and my gas mileage did improve by a small fraction of a
percentage point.

I've been running Mobil 1 in engines, old and new, since the early '80s
and have nothing but good experiences with it.

Godfrey