race car--build vs buy

     I have been considering for a couple of years (and will probably
     consider for a couple of years more before I do anything about it)
     giving vintage racing a go.  I would of course do it in an Alfa,
     preferably a Giulietta or Giulia Sprint.

     I have been time trialing with the Southern Cal Alfa Club (AROSC) in a
     74 GTV for three years, and plan to keep that up even if I do
     eventually get into vintage racing.

     I have gone and watched at seveal VARA (Vintaga Auto Racing
     Association) races here in So Cal over the last couple of years.

     What I've seen is that the level of car prep and driving (at least
     most driving) is well above the time trialing level.  The cars of
     course all have full safety equipment (roll bar, harness, fire
     system).  They are also pretty much all race prepared...the Alfas all
     seem to have Panhard Rod rear suspensions, front sway bars turned
     around to go behind the engine, etc.  And highly modified engines.
     And gutted out interiors, custom dash with special guages replacing
     the stock interior, et. etc.   At Buttonwillow raceway last weekend
     the GTVs were turning sub-2-minutes, versus a good time trial lap time
     (in the class I run) of 2:15 or so.

     This is all kind of intimidating.  And it looks like it would be
     expensive to set up a car.  And if I was to set up a GTV for this type
     of racing I would be competing against the likes of Alan Ward.

     Questions for anyone with vintage racing experience:

     How does a beginner get started with the lowest intimidation factor?

     Does my idea of starting with a Giulietta, so I would be a class or
     two down from the fast guys in 2-liter cars, make any sense?  I
     envision running a nearly-stock car if such a thing is possible and
     still be credible/competitive in come class.  At Buttonwillow last
     weekend there was a MGB GT that looked very stock...street tires, full
     interior, tailpipe about 3/4 inches diameter.  He obviously had a lot
     less money in the car than others in the same class.  But he also ran
     2:25 laps or so while the leaders were doing 2:00.

     What is the low cost way to get started?  Three approaches are:
        - buy a fully prepared car, either one newly prepared or
     excellently maintained.  Most $ but perhaps the least aggravation.
     Also would have the least choice in how to prepare the car if it is
     already prepared.
        - buy a used race car that needs work.  Might save $$ depending on
     how much work needed but would take a lot more work to get ready.
        - buy a stock car and start preparing it.  Most work.  Also
     potentially as much $ as the first option.  And for a beginner like
     me, lots more room to make mistakes in the preparation.

     I think the best is to find a car prepared as I like or nearly so even
     if it costs more up front.

     Any thoughts would be appreciated.

     Doug Bender