re: thermostate temperature and related question

> My car thermostate seems to run at 150 degrees.  This seems too cool
> based on my limited knowledge.  What temperature should I be running my
> 1982 Alfa Veloce Spider?

	Your Spider should temp. should be around 175 F.  It might be that your
thermostat is leaking so that the block never heats up.  Remove the
thermostat and see if it holds water.  If not, put in a new one.

	Related Question:

	David T. and I were working on his 'new' '71 GTV and the temp. never
got above 140 F (PO claimed it always ran at 140F).  Discovered that the
thermostat was leaking and replaced it with a new one.  The temp now
went up to around 145F.  A thermometer in the radiator confirmed the
reading on the instrument dial.  We opened the bleed screw on the
thermostat housing and got some coolant to come out - no air.

	The strange part is that the radiator got hot but the hose from the
thermostat to the radiator never filled with coolant - meaning that the
thermostat never opened.  Coolant was getting into the radiator by
another route.  All the hoses seemed to be correctly routed.  And the
hoses seem to be quite old - maybe original.

	Is there supposed to be a coolant restrictor in one of the hoses?  We
couldn't find one by squeezing the hoses.

	Any ideas on what is going on??

	Bruce & David

End of alfa-digest V7 #598