The makings and propagations of myths

In AD7-596 Adam Doherty wrote:
"Word has it that both Fred D. and John H. were seen this past weekend dancing
the Tarantella in recognition of the Spider discussion!  As far as the origin
of "Spider," I don't know, but the Triumph Digest had discussion about this
same topic awhile back;  someone there offered that was a loose translation
(somehow) of "Speeder"--and spelled incorrectly/phoetically....  I, of course,
remain ignorant on the subject."

There had been a ping-pong thread recently in which Simon Favre gave his
understanding of the origins of "Spider", Dana Loomis and I both answered that
with notes on the minor flaw in his story, and Simon responded with "The story
about the long-legged coach came from a previous Digest from quite a while
ago. I don't remember such umbrage evident then."

I suspect that the "previous Digest from quite a while ago" which Simon
remembered was AD1-181, October 26 1995, when Mike from Mississippi (Mike
Hemsley) wrote "It has always been my understanding that Italian convertibles
were called Spiders because they were originally quite spindly and flexible.
How the English word became the standard, I have no idea." I replied in 1:182
with my understanding of the history of the name and of its transmission into
both Italian and German. Then Alex Angerhofer in 1:183 added a variant which
had been posted on the Italian Car Digest by Aldo Vanini; Fred also in 1:183
said he had understood it the same way I did, and Pat Braden, also in 1:183,
gave the Hemsley/Favre account, explained the spider/spyder spelling
difference by saying "'Spyder' is the German spelling for 'Spider'" and adding
"In Italian, spider is indeed pronounced 'speeder'. That is, a long 'I'. The
reason it is pronounced as a dipthong in English (ai) goes back to the Great
Vowel Shift which occurred in the English Language during the Norman
occupation of England." Which may be the source for Adam Daugherty's citation
on the Triumph Digest of "Speeder".

The tarantella, of course, has nothing to do with tarantulas or any other
ragni;
it is named for the town of Taranto, in southern Italy. And if Fred goes
dancing, I expect it will be with Anna, who is a lot prettier than I am.

Cordially,

John H.
Raleigh, N.C.