Removing water pump

Hi,

Well, well... Having towed the berlina home, I got it started and running.
Recently, I found a second hand water pump so Saturday I tried to fit it. I
took everything off, but when it came time to pull it off, I noticed that
there was no way it would come off with the crank pulley in the way. After
ringing all around town for a 36mm socket, I tried to undo the nut. No
luck. I even chained the car to another car so it couldn't move back
further, but still the nut would not budge. Penetrating oil did not help.

Any suggestions?

     Regards
     Davide Frada

     McLaren Vale, South Australia.