DIY Thermostatic Actuator (TA) repair

Dear Alfisti,

Though it's not for the technically meek or inadequate,
there is a method posted on the i Saluti website for
repairing a tired TA. It's at:

   http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Downs/3837/ta_diy.html

The repair of an out-of-spec thermostatic actuator basically
involves opening the connecting tube, refilling with hydraulic
fluid, and then resealing the tube using a compression fitting.
This website article above describes this procedure. =

Since the article was written I've improved the procedure
by using 1/8 inch SS tubing (instead of copper) and brazing
the connections instead of soldering.

One TA I've repaired has lasted over a year without
significant piston "shrinkage".

Note that this repair won't last long if there is much leakage
around the piston-sealing O-ring.

The '78 Spider using this rebuilt TA passed Missouri's
relatively simple (idle) emmissions test in Mar '99:
   HC: 109ppm measured (600ppm limit)
   CO: 2.79%  measured (6.0%   limit)
And in Apr '98:
   HC: 132ppm measured (600ppm limit)