Re: Help with '83 Spider Handling

>>From everything I read, the Alfa should have a "Tight" steering
>>(i.e. not much play), but I am still getting the pull to the left
>>and "sloppy" front end.  It seems to be most noticeable at highway
>>speeds.
>> HELPPPP!  It's driving me nuts.  I feel as if I'm always fighting
>>to keep the car in the middle of the lane (which is unnerving at 70
>>mph between two transport trucks).

>the pull to one side almost certainly would be an alignment problem.
>the slop could be a number of things.

Agreed, although a decent alignment place SHOULD have found anything
obvious. One possible cause that is worth checking is the
arm on the bottom of the steering box. The (big) nut that pulls the
arm up onto the tapered spline of the output shaft can come loose,
which will understandably cause the wandering symptoms. It's easy to
check: get someone to wiggle the steering wheel from side to side
while you lie on the ground: reach under the car with a finger on the
arm and touching the nut. You will feel any relative movement.

What can happen is if it is left loose is the splines will wear, and
the nut may bottom out on the ends of the splines before the arm is
completely tight. That's why just retorquing the nut may not help.
There are simple solutions if needed.

Mark Battley
Auckland, New Zealand

1974 2000 GT Veloce