heat and headers from aftermarket

An interesting thread has caught my attention and i believe our lil alfa
has the same affliction.  One of the previous owners of our 85 Graduate
put on aftermarket tubular headers.  I think that is why I have been
having the following problems:

1.  difficult time replacing the oil filter and air filter
2.  noise from the zf steerbox
3.  failing brake master cylinder
4.  a grinding sound whenever the car goes up a severe incline and to the
right.

I can live with #1, but #2 and #3 are concerning.  I don't want to go the
stock exhaust header route because I don't have one, and if these problems
can be remedied, I'll keep it.  I was thinking of shielding the brake
master cylinder and the ZF steering box.  Heck, I'll do the clutch master
cylinder too.

My question:  what are the best materials that a novice mechanic can use
to make a good, durable heat shield that is also thin enough to get
between the headers and steering box?

If someone has fabricated these recently, I'd greatly appreciate some
general dimensions that have good results in fit and installation.

Lastly, what are good brands for brake master cylinder rebuild kits or
replacement brake master cylinder sets?

thank you very much!

roy
85 Alfa Romeo Spider Graduate (my play car)
87 Porsche 944 (her play car)
96 VW GTI (the car that will get trashed when we move to Wisconsin)

- ---
R. Moreno, M.D.
rm2a@domain.elided
Dept of Phys Med and Rehab