HELP - SECOND POST

I am having electrical problems.  This is a second post in the hopes that
someone can help me identify the box I am describing:

Under the glovebox there appear to be two different electrical items
(boxes) in my 91 164.  One I assume to be the ECU (large Grey metal); the
other is encased in white plastic. Both are labeled as "Veglia Borletti" -
they connect via a staggered 12 (flat) pin connector to various wires
coming out from under the dash.

One of them has begun to "tick" at a high rate of speed.  The ticking is
very fast and can be altered by shaking or moving the entire unit.  The
ticking is very loud.

 I removed the plastic casing and have found two large black resistors
labeled NEC Japan 12 9J2 MR301, a red round something and varous other
soldered connections.

WHAT IS THIS BOX???  Is it the rear lamp regulator???  If so, it costs
$240!  If not, what is the part number?  What do you think?!

M. Taylor Smith
MTaylorS@domain.elided
TSmith@domain.elided
http://www2.netcom.com/~mtaylors/taylor.html